Coaching Tip of the Month
If you play doubles then inevitably you are going to have to volley! So this months coaching tip focuses on improving the forehand Volley.
Done well, this shot is fairly simplistic in terms of technique.
Firstly, it is important to highlight a strong ready position at the net. Crucially it requires keeping elbows out in front of the body, racket straight and using continental grip (picture 1).
When you recognise the ball coming to forehand – you simply turn your wrist to present your palm to the ball, this should keep your forearm out in front of the body and push your elbow closer to your body (picture 2).
Finally, you then ‘push’ or ‘Block’ the ball at contact and lean the body forward to generate power (picture 3).
Summary of Forehand Volley relating to the 4 performance factors
Mental – Be brave and positive to encourage going to the ball
Physical – strong ready position, fast reactions, body weight forward into ball
Tactical – keep the ball low and look to control to open space
Technical – continental grip, turn wrist to present palm, push through the contact point.
tt tennis recently provided 3 x 2hr training sessions on Saturdays. The sessions targeted Juniors aged between 10 – 16yrs who are keen to compete. The sessions focused on training all 4 performance factors of Physical, Mental, Technical and Tactical skills. We also provided a Q&A session with Caleb Ralston, a top National Player, who has also joined the team as a Pro hitter! We will be organising another set of sessions in the new year so please keep a look out for the dates in the newsletter.
A well deserved congratulations!
To Ollie Williams and Vladimir Rozhkov who competed at the Frome Selwood team challenge event last Sunday. After winning all of their singles matches and bar one doubles match the boys came third after a tight breakdown of points. Well done lads!!
- 7th Spring Term starts for Lansdown Juniors
- 14th Lansdown adults coaching starts
- 19th Bloomfield coaching starts
- 26th - 16U Boys Matchplay 3.30pm
- 27th - Mini Tour 1pm
- 2nd Team Traning
- 8th Term ends this week
- 9th Girls 14u Fed Cup team comp 4pm
- 18th Girls only camp
- 19th, 20th, 21st camps Lansdown and Bloomfield
- 22nd fun comp 10am
- 2nd Team Training
- 3rd Mini Tour Reds 1pm, Orange and Green 2pm
- 4th - Adult Beginner course (4 weeks)
- 9th Boys 12U Matchplay 3.30pm
- 16th Boys 16U Matchplay 3.30pm
- 17th Parent and Child Fun Tournament 3pm 8U Red Ball
- 19th 'Add Power to your volleys' Workshop 10am-11.30am
- 23rd Girls 14U Matchplay 3.30pm
- 24th Mini Tour Red 1pm, Orange and Green 2pm
- 30th Team Training