Coaching Tip of the Month
If you play doubles then inevitably you are going to have to volley! So this months coaching tip focuses on improving the forehand Volley.
Done well, this shot is fairly simplistic in terms of technique.
Firstly, it is important to highlight a strong ready position at the net. Crucially it requires keeping elbows out in front of the body, racket straight and using continental grip (picture 1).
When you recognise the ball coming to forehand – you simply turn your wrist to present your palm to the ball, this should keep your forearm out in front of the body and push your elbow closer to your body (picture 2).
Finally, you then ‘push’ or ‘Block’ the ball at contact and lean the body forward to generate power (picture 3).
Summary of Forehand Volley relating to the 4 performance factors
Mental – Be brave and positive to encourage going to the ball
Physical – strong ready position, fast reactions, body weight forward into ball
Tactical – keep the ball low and look to control to open space
Technical – continental grip, turn wrist to present palm, push through the contact point.
tt tennis recently provided 3 x 2hr training sessions on Saturdays. The sessions targeted Juniors aged between 10 – 16yrs who are keen to compete. The sessions focused on training all 4 performance factors of Physical, Mental, Technical and Tactical skills. We also provided a Q&A session with Caleb Ralston, a top National Player, who has also joined the team as a Pro hitter! We will be organising another set of sessions in the new year so please keep a look out for the dates in the newsletter.
A well deserved congratulations!
To Ollie Williams and Vladimir Rozhkov who competed at the Frome Selwood team challenge event last Sunday. After winning all of their singles matches and bar one doubles match the boys came third after a tight breakdown of points. Well done lads!!
- Sun 19th May 10am - 4.30pm Tennis Leaders Course 13-17yrs
- Sun 19 May Mini 'Tour ' matches for 6-10yrs
- Thurs 23rd May 7-8.30pm Strengths & Weaknesses' workshop
- 28th, 29th, 30th May Half term camps
- Sun 2nd Mini 'Tour ' matches for 6-10yrs
- Mon 3rd new term starts
- Sun 9th 1-2.30pm Parent and child sign language tennis
- Sun 9th 3-4pm Parent and Child Tournament
- Fri 14th June 1.30-3pm Singles tactics workshop
- Sat 22nd June 2pm tt tennis festival day
- Sun 7th Mini Tour for 6-10 years
- Mon 8th Summer camps start
- B A M B I N O S 3 - 4 Y R S
- R E D N I P P E R S 5 - 8 Y R S
- W A R R I O R S 9 - 1 2 Y R S
- T E E N S 1 3 - 1 6 Y R S
- A D U L T C O U R S E S