Coaching Tip of the Month
If you play doubles then inevitably you are going to have to volley! So this months coaching tip focuses on improving the forehand Volley.
Done well, this shot is fairly simplistic in terms of technique.
Firstly, it is important to highlight a strong ready position at the net. Crucially it requires keeping elbows out in front of the body, racket straight and using continental grip (picture 1).
When you recognise the ball coming to forehand – you simply turn your wrist to present your palm to the ball, this should keep your forearm out in front of the body and push your elbow closer to your body (picture 2).
Finally, you then ‘push’ or ‘Block’ the ball at contact and lean the body forward to generate power (picture 3).
Summary of Forehand Volley relating to the 4 performance factors
Mental – Be brave and positive to encourage going to the ball
Physical – strong ready position, fast reactions, body weight forward into ball
Tactical – keep the ball low and look to control to open space
Technical – continental grip, turn wrist to present palm, push through the contact point.
- Sun 8th Sept - registration day 4-5pm @lansdown tennis club. Coaches will be available at this time to help with new registrations and sort bookings face 2 face.
- Mon 9th Sept - coaching programme resumes
- Sun 6 Oct 2-4.30pm Heroes Tour competition matches 5-11 yrs
- Sun 13 Oct 2-4pm Junior comp B&G 16/13U
- Sun 20 Oct 2-4.30pm Heroes Tour competition matches 5-11 yrs
- Tues 22 Oct 11.30am Adult Basics workshop
- Tues 22 Oct 1.30pm 'Developing slice backhand workshop'
- Mon 28 Oct Junior Performance training 9.30am-3.30pm
- Holiday courses 28th Oct to 3rd Nov
Nov / Dec
- Sun 10 Nov 2-4.30pm Heroes Tour competition matches 5-11 yrs
- Sun 10 Nov 9.30am - 3pm LTA Tennis Leaders Course
- Sun 17 Nov 2-4pm Junior comp B&G 16/13U
- Saturday 7th Dec - coaching finishes for xmas break